Project Cornerstone Book of the Month
This month’s ABC book: “Big” by Coleen Paratore encourages students to become BIG
people. The author defines BIG as being bright, imaginative, healthy, helpful, and
valuable members of society.
Goals of lesson:
- Encourage students to take small steps to achieve BIG outcomes at home, school and community.
- Internalize intrinsic rewards of doing things for the right reasons-Being an UPstander.
- Perform intentional acts of caring for others.
- Understand that everyone can be BIG in their own way.
To reinforce this lesson at home:
- Discuss ways your family contributes individually and together to making a difference in the world.
- Ask your child
oHow can I be BIG in my family?
o What do we do to be BIG toward our planet?
o How can we be kind to each other in a BIG way?
o How can we be BIG in our community?
o Name people who are BIG (famous, friends, family, in the news) and explain why.
Parents can consider reading the book: The World Needs Your Kid: Raising Children Who Care and Contribute by Craig & Marc Kielburger. This book focuses on simple everyday actions that can have a lasting influence on our child’s life and the lives of those around us.
When you “catch” kids modeling positive behaviors…
Notice, Name it, and Celebrate it!